Publications and presentations
- But, J., Brown, PA and Smyth, DS. Reading Effectively Across the Disciplines (READ): A Strategy to Improve Student Success. Insight: A Journal of Scholarly Science Teaching 2017
- Rasool, A*., and D.S. Smyth. (2014) Promoting Critical thinking Through Bloom’s Taxonomy in BIO 1101 Peer-led workshops. In proceedings of the Annual Conference, Peer-led Team Learning International Society.
Oral and Panel Presentations
- Smyth, D.S., and But, J. (2015) When There is No College Reading. Oral Presentation. SENCER Regional Conference. Oct 16th New York City College of Technology, Brooklyn, NY.
- Smyth DS (2015, Oct). Workshop Biology – READ Project. Oral presentation for the Peer Led Team Learning Program: Engaging STEM Undergraduates, A CUNY BMI Best Practice Initiative, NYCCT, Brooklyn
- Smyth DS (2015, Jan). READ – Fine focus on Microbiology. Oral presentation during the Spring 2015 workshop of the READ Initiative, NYCCT, Brooklyn.
- Smyth, D.S. The READ initiative. CUNY Assessment Seminar Closing the loop in Assessment of General Education, John Jay, CUNY, March 2015.
- Rasool, A*. and Smyth, D. S. “Promoting Critical Thinking Through Bloom’s Taxonomy in Biology 1101 Peer-Led Workshops.” In proceedings of the 3rd Annual Meeting of the Peer-Led Team Learning International Society, California State University-Dominguez Hills, Carson, California, May 30, 2014.*Oral Presentation by an Undergraduate Student.
- But, J., Smyth, D.S. and LaBoy, H. (2014). Reading Effectively Across the Disciplines. The International Journal of Arts and Sciences’ Harvard Medical School – Panel Presentation
- Smyth DS (2014, Aug). READ – Focus on Biology. Oral presentation during the Summer 2014 workshop of the READ Initiative, NYCCT, Brooklyn.
- Smyth, D.S. (2017) Improving Civic and Scientific Literacy through Scaffolded Thematic Classroom Research Experiences. Gordon Conference: Undergraduate Biology Education Research Conference. July 9-14th. Stonehill College, Easton, Ma.
- Smyth, D.S. (2017) Improving Civic and Scientific Literacy through Scaffolded Thematic Classroom Research Experiences. The American Society for Microbiology Annual Meeting. New Orleans, La.
- Smyth, D.S. (2016) Improving Civic and Scientific Literacy through Scaffolded Thematic Classroom Research Experiences. Poster Presentation. SENCER Summer Institute. July 28th to Aug 1st Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL.
- Matthews, A., Bilello, Maria-Elena, Smyth, D and But, J (2015). Back to Basics: Improving Reading in Dental Hygiene Courses. CDHA National Conference. Oct 29-31. Victoria, British Columbia.
- Smyth, D. S. Reading Effectively Across the Disciplines – Focus on Biology (2014). The Teaching Professor Conference – Poster presentation
- Davida S. Smyth and Juanita But (2014, Nov). READ: It’s not Just for Biology Students, Let’s Get Microbiology Students Reading Too! Poster presented at the 12th Annual Faculty and Student Research Poster Session, NYCCT, Brooklyn